Idris Elba and Kristofer Hivju. Photo: Getty Images
The CDC guidelines put in place to curb the coronavirus pandemic have sent a ripple effect of delays and cancellations across the entertainment industry and have put the world of professional sports virtually on hold. With over 200,000 cases of the virus worldwide, celebrities and civilians alike are hunkering down at home and bracing for a growing number of diagnoses. On March 11, Tom Hanks announced that he and his wife, actress Rita Wilson, caught the virus while traveling in Australia, marking Hollywood’s first high-profile case of the outbreak. As numbers of the highly contagious virus continue to climb, those in the public eye afflicted with coronavirus, who often have access to testing through private physicians, are urging fans and followers to self-isolate. Here are all the celebrities who have tested positive for coronavirus so far.
Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson
— Tom Hanks (@tomhanks) March 12, 2020
On March 11, the internationally beloved actor shared on Twitter that he and his wife, actress and singer Rita Wilson, contracted coronavirus in Australia. Hanks was Down Under to prepare for shooting Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis Presley biopic when he and Wilson started to feel cold and flu symptoms. The couple subsequently tested positive for the virus and assured they are isolating themselves during their recovery period. According to a March 16 report from People, after a five-day stay at a Queensland hospital, the couple is now recuperating at a rented home in Australia.
On March 15, Olga Kurylenko, who starred opposed Daniel Craig in the 2008 James Bond film Quantum of Solace, said she tested positive for coronavirus. The Ukrainian–born French actress shared the news on Instagram, where she urged followers to take the virus seriously.
British actor and musician Idris Elba shared a video via Twitter on March 16 to announce that he had tested positive for coronavirus. While he said he remains asymptomatic, he decided to go for testing after discovering he was exposed to someone who had been diagnosed with the virus. Elba appears in the video with his wife, Sabrina Dhowre, who had yet to be tested. He urges viewers to take up global solidarity, social distancing, and soap to combat the spread of the virus.
This morning I tested positive for Covid 19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus. Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I’m doing 👊🏾👊🏾 No panic. pic.twitter.com/Lg7HVMZglZ
— Idris Elba (@idriselba) March 16, 2020
On March 16, Norwegian actor Kristofer Hivju said he tested positive for the virus, sharing a photo on Instagram to announce the news. Hivju, best known for his role on Game of Thrones, is self-isolating at home with minor symptoms.
Greetings from Norway! Sorry to say that I, today, have tested positive for COVID19, Corona virus. My familiy and I are self-isolating at home for as long as it takes. We are in good health – I only have mild symptoms of a cold. There are people at higher risk for who this virus might be a devastating diagnosis, so I urge all of you to be extremely careful; wash your hands, keep 1,5 meters distance from others, go in quarantine; just do everything you can to stop the virus from spreading. Together we can fight this virus and avert a crisis at our hospitals. Please take care of each other, keep your distance, and stay healthy! Please visit your country's Center for Disease Control's website, and follow the regulations for staying safe and protecting not just yourselves, but our entire community, and especially those at risk like the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions. @grymolvaerhivju #fightcorona #solidarity #takecare #folkehelseinstituttet Thanks to @panoramaagency
A post shared by Kristofer Hivju (@khivju) on
Actress Rachel Matthews, who voiced the character of Honeymaren in Frozen 2, said she tested positive for coronavirus on March 16. In a series of Instagram stories, Matthews shared that she had been in self-quarantine for several days. “I’m feeling better, but I will be posting some info that I hope will be helpful to some,” she wrote. “Please feel free to reach out and ask me any questions.”
On March 17, singer Charlotte Lawrence took to Instagram to share she had tested positive for coronavirus. The 19-year-old artist, whose song “Joke’s On You” appeared on the Birds of Preysoundtrack, urged her followers to keep up with the latest information about the virus: “We have the power to slow this down. So please, please isolate yourself. Stay clean. Stay informed. Stay aware and make others aware. And for the love of god, self fucking quarantine or you’ll be on my shit list.”
On March 18, Cameroonian jazz legend Manu Dibango was admitted to the hospital to receive treatment for the coronavirus. The 86-year-old is “resting well and calmly recovering,” according to a statement on his Facebook page. Dibango, who was a member of the legendary Congolese ensemble African Jazz, is best known for his 1972 hit “Soul Makossa.”
Tanzanian rapper Mwana FA, born Khamis Mwinjuma, confirmed on March 19 that he had tested positive for coronavirus. Mwana FA, one of the most popular artists in his home country, shared a video on Instagram, assuring his followers he was recovering and calling on them to “take care of each other.”
Daniel Dae Kim
On March 19, actor Daniel Dae Kim announced he had tested positive for coronavirus, posting a video on Instagram to share the news. Prior to his diagnosis, Kim was in New York on the set of NBC’s series New Amsterdam. Production of the show has since been postponed. Kim addressed his followers from his home in Hawaii. “Today, even though I’m not 100 percent, I’m pretty close,” he said.
On March 20, former Bachelor star Colton Underwood posted a video to his Instagram telling followers that he had tested positive for coronavirus and that the virus has “been kicking my ass.” The 28-year-old reality star wanted to get the information out that followers should “stay at home, do your part.” Underwood had been practicing social distancing at his girlfriend Cassie Randolph’s parents’ house in California.
The host of Watch What Happens Live posted to his Instagram on March 20 to say that he, too, has tested positive for COVID-19. The Bravo show will be on pause entirely for the time being.
Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert became the first NBA player to catch coronavirus on March 11, prompting the NBA to suspend the 2019–2020 season. Prior to testing positive for the virus, Gobert purposely touched press conference microphones as a joke, a moment captured on video. He subsequently apologized for his actions in an Instagram post: “I hope my story serves as a warning and causes everyone to take this seriously. I will do whatever I can to support using my experience as way to educate others and prevent the spread of this virus.”
On March 12, Rudy Gobert’s Utah Jazz teammate, all-star forward Donovan Mitchell, confirmed that he had contracted coronavirus. He took to Instagram to assure fans that he would actively monitor his health condition and the global status of the pandemic.
Mikel Arteta, the head coach of Arsenal Football Club, was diagnosed with the virus on March 12. The 37-year-old club manager and former player was the first in England’s football Premier League to test positive for coronavirus. According to an official club statement, the team’s training center has since been closed, and Arteta is self-isolating in line with public health guidelines.
On the evening of March 12th, Chelsea Football Club striker Callum Hudson-Odoi tested positive for coronavirus. The 19-year-old player went for testing after coming down with a mild cold earlier in the week. A day after announcing his diagnosis, Hudson-Odoi tweeted to share that he has recovered from the virus and is isolating himself from the public. He hopes to be “back on the pitch very soon.”
Thank you for all your good wishes, as I said in the video I’m feeling good and hope to see you all soon!!🙏🏾❤️ pic.twitter.com/hn5d0ikm60
— Callum Hudson-Odoi (@Calteck10) March 13, 2020
Colombian cyclist Fernando Gaviria shared a video on Instagram to announce he had tested positive for coronavirus on March 12. He contracted the virus after racing for Team Emirates as part of the UAE Tour. “I know there’s been a lot of rumors about my health,” Gaviria said. “Exams have found that I am positive for coronavirus, but I am feeling good.”
On March 12, it was confirmed that Russian ProTour cyclist Dmitry Strakhov had tested positive for coronavirus. Like Gaviria, Strakhov was diagnosed after participating in the UAE Tour. Strakhov was subsequently hospitalized in Abu Dhabi.
Christian Wood became the first NBA player outside of the Utah Jazz roster to test positive for the virus, a source told ESPN on March 14. The Detroit Pistons power forward remains “in isolation and under the care of team medical staff,” per an official Pistons team statement.
Two-time NBA championship winner and Brooklyn Nets forward Kevin Durant said he tested positive for coronavirus on March 17, telling sports outlet The Athletic that he is feeling fine despite his diagnosis. “Everyone be careful, take care of yourself and quarantine,” he said. “We’re going to get through this.” Durant is one of four Nets players to contact the virus.
The Nets announce that four players tested positive for COVID-19 pic.twitter.com/S0kAztSG8g
— Malika Andrews (@malika_andrews) March 17, 2020
Blaise Matuidi became the second player from the Italian soccer team Juventus to test positive for coronavirus on March 17, nearly a week after fellow Turin club player Daniele Rugani announced he contracted the virus. Matuidi, who won the world cup with the French national team in 2018, has been in voluntary isolation since last week, according to an official Juventus statement.
Sean Payton, head coach of the New Orleans Saints, became the first individual tied to the NFL to test positive for coronavirus. Payton confirmed the news to ESPN on March 19.
Celtics player Marcus Smart announced on Twitter on March 19th that he has tested positive for COVID-19. He was tested 5 days prior and has been in isolation since then. Smart maintains that he has “no symptoms” and “feels great.” On March 19th, the Los Angeles Lakers released a statement that two of their players have also tested positive for coronavirus. Both players “are currently asymptomatic, in quarantine and under the care of the team’s physician,” said the statement. The statement did not release the names of the players who tested positive.
Paolo and Daniel Maldini
Paolo Maldini, the technical director of Italian soccer club powerhouse AC Milan, and his son, Daniel Maldini, a forward for AC Milan’s youth team, both tested positive for the coronavirus. “Paolo and Daniel are both well and have already completed two weeks at home without contact with others,” the club said in a statement. “They will now remain in quarantine until clinically recovered, as per the medical protocols outlined by the health authorities.”
Sophie Grégoire Trudeau
On March 12, the wife of Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, tested positive for coronavirus after returning from a brief trip to the U.K. According to an official statement from the prime minister’s office, Grégoire Trudeau and her husband will be in self-isolation for a period of two weeks.
Miami mayor Francis Suarez announced he had contracted the virus on March 13, sharing a video in an effort to allay fears about his symptoms. Since his diagnosis, he has been sharing daily “digital journals” to update the public on his condition and local government efforts to fight the pandemic.
In my fifth digital journal, I explain how my condition directly ties into the importance of social distancing, as well as another bold action the @CityofMiami is now taking to promote that. #InThisTogether pic.twitter.com/oM3dB4wK47
— Mayor Francis Suarez (@FrancisSuarez) March 17, 2020
The Spanish government announced that the wife of Spanish prime minister Pedro Sánchez tested positive for the virus on March 14. The announcement came soon after Sánchez announced sweeping state measures to curb the spread of the virus. The country is currently on lockdown.
Karl von Habsburg
On March 17, Karl von Habsburg, the archduke of Austria, confirmed he had been diagnosed with coronavirus. The archduke, who heads the historic House of Habsburg-Lorraine, has been in self-quarantine since March 12 after testing positive for the virus. He called into Austrian TV network oe24 to inform the public of his condition: “It’s annoying, but I’m fine. It’s not the Black Plague. I thought it was the usual flu. When a friend called me that he had a positive test at a congress in Switzerland, I was also tested.”
Prince Albert II
Prince Albert II of Monaco has become the second royal and the first head of state to contract the virus, testing positive on March 19. The 62-year-old prince is working from his home and receiving treatment, according to an official palace statement.
On March 18, Mario Diaz-Balart, a Republican Representative for Florida’s 25th congressional district, was notified that he had tested positive for coronavirus. He was the first U.S. lawmaker to contract the virus.
Later in the evening on March 18, Utah Democrat Ben McAdams tested positive for the virus. McAdams, a representative for Utah’s 4th district, released a statement on Twitter to share the news. “I am still working for Utahns and pursuing efforts to get Utahns the resources they need as I continue doing my job from home until I know it is safe to end my self-quarantine,” he wrote.
— Rep. Ben McAdams (@RepBenMcAdams) March 19, 2020
Lucian Grainge, one of the most powerful music executives in the business, tested positive for coronavirus on March 15. Grange, the CEO of Universal Music Group Inc., is undergoing treatment at UCLA Medical Center. Two weeks prior to his diagnosis, he celebrated his 60th birthday in the company of Apple CEO Tim Cook and Irving Azoff, chairman of Azoff MSG entertainment, a talent management venture with Madison Square Garden.
On March 16, record producer and musician Andrew Watt announced that he had tested positive for coronavirus. The 29-year-old, who has worked with the likes of Ozzy Osbourne and Cardi B, shared the news in a series of notes posted on Twitter, writing about his struggle to obtain testing. Although he was denied testing at a hospital, he was able to receive a test from a private doctor. Watt implored young people to take the virus seriously: “To have the mentality ‘I’m young this can’t affect me’ is just straight up stupid and so dangerous to everyone around you,” he wrote. “Social distancing is to protect someone’s mom and dad, someone’s grandmother… it’s not about you. It’s about everyone together fighting this as a team.”
Record producer/musician Andrew Watt urges everyone to take Coronavirus seriously after testing positive. pic.twitter.com/yjXu85iqKw
— Pop Crave (@PopCrave) March 17, 2020
Fashion and lifestyle influencer Arielle Charnas, who runs the popular Instagram account Something Navy, announced on March 18 that she had tested positive for the virus. In an Instagram post on her personal account, she shared her recovery plan and listed her symptoms. Her diagnosis comes a day after she shared a post revealing she wasn’t feeling well. “I’m dealing with the weirdest virus I’ve ever had since mono,” Charnas wrote. “I’m so happy my fever is gone but the body pain that I’m feeling today is unlike anything else. It feels like we’re all in a bad dream right now but I’m determined to bring back some normalcy to our lives.”