The 140th US Open is taking place from Aug. 31-Sept. 13 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York. This year's US Open will be unlike any other, with new health and safety protocols in place due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Fans will not be attending the tournament for safety reasons, as COVID-19 cases continue to pose a problem for the nation. Some of the world's top players have decided to opt-out, citing safety concerns for themselves as well as others amid the pandemic.
Defending champions Rafael Nadal and Bianca Andresscu, along with WTA No. 1 Ashleigh Barty and No. 2 Simona Halep, are some of the stars who announced they'll skip this year's event due to the pandemic. Five-time winner Roger Federer is out of the tournament with a knee injury.
There are some stars who will be playing, with their eyes on another US Open title, however. In the women's draw, six-time champion Serena Williams (+500) and 2018 winner Naomi Osaka (+600) are the favorites, and in the men's draw three-time champ Novak Djokovic (-125) and ATP world No. 5 Daniil Medvedev (+600) lead the field. (odds via William Hill Sportsbook)
Today's notable matches:
Saturday, Sept. 5
(All times Eastern)
Men's Singles, third round:
- No. 3 D. Medvedev def. J. Wolf, 6-3, 6-3, 6-2
- No. 6 M. Berrettini def. No. 30 C. Ruud, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2
- V. Pospisil def. No. 8 R. Bautista Agut, 7-5, 2-6, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
Women's Singles, third round:
- No. 3 S. Williams def. 26 S. Stephens, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
- No. 2 S. Kenin def. No. 27 O. Jabeur, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
- A. Cornet def. No. 7 M. Keys, 7-6 (7-4), 3-2
How to watch US Open
- Date: August 31 – September 13
- Location: USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, New York, New York
- Channel: ESPN, ESPN2, Tennis Channel
- Streaming: fuboTV (try free for 7 days)