The Scott Frank and James Mangold-penned film is nominated for best adapted screenplay, while Jordan Peele's horror flick is vying for best original screenplay along with Greta Gerwig's film.
The Writers Guild of America announced on Thursday, January 4 the complete list of nominations for the 2018 Writers Guild Awards honoring outstanding achievement in film. Among the nominees is James Mangold's "Logan", which scores a nomination for best adapted screenplay.
It seems like the final "X-Men" movie for Hugh Jackman is recognized for its exceptional screenplay by the association, after it failed to nab any Golden Globe or Screen Actors Guild nominations. Scott Frank and Mangold wrote the screenplay, with the latter also receiving story credit.
Other contenders in the adapted screenplay category include James Ivory's long-gestating screenplay for "Call Me by Your Name", Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber's screenplay for James Franco-starring film "The Disaster Artist", the Aaron Sorkin-penned "Molly's Game" and the Virgil Williams-Dee Rees collaboration "Mudbound".
In best original screenplay category, Jordan Peele's "Get Out" and Greta Gerwig's "Lady Bird" are up against other formidable competitors including Guillermo del Toro and Vanessa Taylor's "The Shape of Water", Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanjiani's "The Big Sick" and the Steven Rogers-penned biopic "I, Tonya", which stars Margot Robbie as the disgraced figure skater Tonya Harding.
The 2018 Writers Guild of America Awards will be handed out on February 11 across two separate ceremonies in New York City and Beverly Hills. Check out the full list of nominees for outstanding achievement in film below. You can find the previously announced list of the guild's nominees in TV category here.
- "Call Me by Your Name", Screenplay by James Ivory; Based on the Novel by Andre Aciman; Sony Pictures Classics
- "The Disaster Artist", Screenplay by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber; Based on the Book "The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside the Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made" by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell; A24
- "Logan", Screenplay by Scott Frank and James Mangold; Based on Characters from the "X-Men" Comic Books and Theatrical Motion Pictures; Twentieth Century Fox Film
- "Molly's Game", Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin; Based on the Book by Molly Bloom; STX Entertainment
- "Mudbound", Screenplay by Virgil Williams and Dee Rees; Based on the Novel by Hillary Jordan; Netflix
- "Betting on Zero", Written by Theodore Braunn; Gunpowder & Sky
- "Jane", Written by Brett Morgen; National Geographic
- "No Stone Unturned", Written by Alex Gibney; Abramorama
- "Oklahoma City", Written by Barak Goodman; American Experience Films
Let's Post Your Story on Open Magazine! https://news.artmotion.com/packs/